Countless films based on AI taking over life as we know it often depicts the end of the world but did you know AI is evolving at an alarming rate? In fact, Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk and even Bill Gates share a fear of the very thought of an AI takeover.
- Understanding human behaviorWe’ve all got a Facebook account right? The world’s most influential social media platform is already a massive part of our daily life. Did you know that every time you use Facebook you are interacting with a form of artificial intelligence? It’s true Mark Zuckerberg revealed that Facebook is using AI to understand human behavior.Analyzing human interaction on Facebook, the AI can then recommend many feeds that we might be interested in. It doesn’t stop there either, Zuckerberg has big plans to integrate AI into other areas such as medicine. Don’t panic yet, for now, Facebook’s AI can only recognize pattern behavior, but you can be sure that the boffins at Facebook are working on smarter, faster AIs as we speak!
- AI is learning right and wrongScientists are developing methods to prevent AI Takeover too. By teaching AI right and wrong the robots could be more empathetic and human. Murray Shanahan, a cognitive robotics professor at the Imperial College, London believes this is the key to preventing AI from terminating us all!Experiments using stories to install human ethics in AI are already taking place, just like we read stories to our children to teach them. Of course, this also adds danger, many humans despite knowing right from wrong still are capable of terrible things. So what will prevent AI from going down the same path of some of these terrible human examples? What if the films are true and AI realizes that humans are the problem on earth and Terminates us all?
- Weapon of mass destruction
Remember Terminators Skynet? The US military has proposed a budget of around $15 billion to give them a military advantage over China and Russia. Of course, to do this they will use artificial intelligence, in particular autonomous machines that are capable of deep learning. Perhaps in a few years’ time we will see terminator like killer robots on battlefields.Meet Atlas, a bipedal humanoid robot developed by Boston Dynamics in 2013. Atlas is 1.8-meter (6 ft) tall and originally he was designed for a variety of rescue and search tasks. He and “his friends” of course could save many human lives, but as we have seen in the film killer robots that can think for themselves could also provide a threat to us.
- They already feel emotions
We already know that the main thing that separates humans from robots is emotions. Robots have intelligence, in fact, most are a lot smarter than we are already, but they can’t feel right ?. Wrong, scientists are already working on AI that can feel emotions similar to ours.The Microsoft Application and Services Group in Asia have already created an AI program that is said to be able to feel emotions. The program can also talk to us in a much more human way. Named Xiaoice she answers questions very similar to a 17-year-old girl would. She is capable of lying, being means, being impatient, being sarcastic, getting angry or becoming embarrassed.For now, Xiaoice is just a concept and provides a fun insight into what can be done, but Microsoft will develop this project more, already they are developing a self-learning and growing addition.
- Robots can become our lovers or even soulmatesRemember Her? In this film, the main character falls in love with a robot. Well, this controversial subject could actually happen in real life, and very soon too! In 2015 a report by a futurologist Dr. Ian Pearson stated that human-on-robot sex will eventually become more popular than human-on-human sex by 2050.