Immaterial of who you are, winter season affects everyone which means that you should have your heating equipment primed and ready come October-November. However, there are quite a few precautions that you need to consider, otherwise that could lead to some issues with your equipment. Therefore we created a list with the help of Limcan that ensures that your heating equipment does not create any problems during next season.
- Take care of your Pilot: When not in use, it will be a good idea to turn the pilot light off. The pilot light of the equipment keeps running round the clock to prepare the equipment for the next cycle. This keeps feeding on gas in the background, which burns a hole in your pocket and causes a waste of energy resources. Unless another appliance is connected with the same pilot light that you may require, it will be better to turn it off for the season.
- Ensure the correct plugging of the switch: Flip the switch of your appliance from the mains electricity board if you do not require it for some time. Ensure that the wire does not have any cuts on it that can create problems with its efficiency.
- Regular changing of the air filter: Filter is the most used equipment of the HVAC system. The air that passes through the filter is treated to make sure it does not blow up any allergen and dust particles. At any time when the air quality is decreased, residents of the house start suffering from health issues, especially respiratory disorders. Therefore, you must clean the air filter or replace the disposable one. To choose the best option, you can call your contractor for expert advice.
- Ensure timely maintenance: If your heating system is suffering from any issue, it will be a better idea to call the contractor for support before you shut it down. When your equipment is off for a while, the smallest issue will become drastic, and you will have to invest more money in its repair before you can use it for the next season.
- Ensuring that the equipment is cleaned regularly: Once you turn off the equipment for the off-season, we recommend cleaning the material as well as the area surrounding it. Smaller margins, vents, and filters are likely to harbor a lot of dust within them. Making the area sweep clean around the equipment increases its efficiency, and it does not create the hindrance while performing the maintenance. In addition to that, it also ensures that the area is free from any fire safety hazard.
Benefits of the precaution
Enhanced performance: An equipment with cleaner parts doesn’t put excess load on the machinery, requires less energy, and performs better.
Energy savings: You can cut down the supply of the energy going to your heating equipment once you turn off the electricity supply. At the same time, when you use any equipment after proper maintenance, they require less energy to maintain the right temperature of your home.
Improve air quality: Any equipment that has less build-up blows the clean air. A cleaned filter ensures that the air surrounding your room has fewer dust particles, and you suffer from fewer respiratory problems.
Longer lifespan: When you schedule the regular maintenance for your HVAC system and keep it clean, it lasts longer. Thus, the equipment performs at peak efficiency and lasts for decades.
How to make your heating equipment winter-ready
After taking a break during the comfortable temperature, it is essential to check that your heating types of equipment are optimally performing before you put them to use again. To ensure this, some tips are added to give you a better understanding of how to ensure that your heating equipment is winter-ready. A rightly maintained equipment runs optimally throughout the season so that you and your dear one feel cozy in your interiors.
Appliance care: Filter is a small equipment that gets overlooked and thus puts an excessive burden on your humidifier. Periodically check your filter to ensure that it is working correctly and to determine its life so that it can be replaced on time. A clogged filter makes your equipment work harder. The poor performance due to the dryline clogging is often a cause of house fire. Use a brush to clean the mold and dust within the lint before you put your humidifier to use.
Remove obstacles: A heating equipment that has multiple constraints on the way compromises the air quality as well as the temperature level of the interior. This means that when you put furniture and other objects on the direction of air passage, the hot air does not get appropriately circulated within the room. Thus, it will take more time to heat the room and puts an excessive burden on the heating appliance. Also, if the heating appliance undergoes any spark issues, these hurdles are likely to be the first items to catch the flames. Remove any potential obstacles and ensure that the areas around the heating appliances are clean and free from any disturbance.
Maximize efficiency: It is useless to let your resources go to vain when you can effectively increase the effectiveness of the heating equipment with some simple techniques. Be smart while you put your heating equipment to use with some smart decisions and increase productivity. Cover the windows with thick curtains and close the doors. Remove any obstacles that hinder the flow of air, keep your filters clean, and get its maintenance done on time by the experts as directed.
Run the thermostat: As you start your HVAC system after a period, turn the thermostat of your furnace and let it run for a couple of minutes. If the furnace continues to run, it is probably working just fine. On the other hand, if your furnace stops working in the next 3 to 5 minutes, it is perhaps due to the short cycle of the furnace. Call an expert for further analysis of your heating system and get the issue fixed.
Check the flame: If your furnace and boiler show flames on the ignition, check them for quality and color. A flame showing colors other than blue with tight ovals is a warning sign and requires maintenance by an expert. Make sure that the air quality of the room is not compromised as the residents may suffer from respiratory cases if this happens.
Adding the following tips in your lifestyle will make sure that your heating appliance stays winter-ready, and you do not burn a hole due to hefty expenses in your pocket. After all, a smart consumer makes an intelligent choice.