Iran launched missile strikes late Tuesday against two Iraqi military bases that house U.S. forces in retaliation for the airstrike that killed Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani last week. More than a dozen ballistic missiles targeted the Al Asad and Erbil bases, the Pentagon has said.
There has been no indication from U.S. officials of any American casualties from the strikes, in spite of Iranian claims to have killed dozens. Iraqi officials have said none of their troops were killed or injured.
US President Donald Trump said
No Americans were harmed after Iran attacked bases housing US troops in Iraq.
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) January 8, 2020
Washington — President Trump said no Americans or Iraqis were hurt in an Iranian missile attack on two military bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq, and said Iran “appears to be standing down” in the explosive confrontation between the U.S. and the Islamic Republic.
“I’m pleased to inform you, the American people should be extremely grateful and happy. No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime,” the president said in an address to the nation from the White House on Wednesday. “We suffered no casualties, all of our soldiers are safe and only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases.”